[ic] Making use of the 'comments' field in the transactions table

interchange-users@icdevgroup.org interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Fri Dec 27 14:02:00 2002

> patrick.bennett@ccgenesis.com wrote:
> >
> > I'm in the process of changing our client's order retreival
> system to
> > go from encrypted email to an encrypted order dump file that can
> > be processed by a backend inventory system they are implementing.
> > One of the records the system can process is an order notes
> (comments)
> > record, which I would like to populate with the 'comments'
> > field of the
> > transactions table.  But I can't see how to make use of that field.
> > Right now, the comments are stuck in the email and the client gets
> > them but they aren't stored in the database.
>
> I believe they are stored in the database, since in the
> order_view page
> of the admin they are retrived by:
>      [loop-data transactions comments]

Well, the code is on that page, but on the order page there's nowhere
to actually enter the comments.  I looked at the demo and there isn't
a comments field on the checkout page.  I've added one to my checkout
page, but it only goes in the email to the store owner, and I want to
make it go into the database.  So to take it up one level, if you add
a field to the checkout page, how do you make sure that field gets
populated in the database (assuming you've added a corresponding
field to the transactions table)?

Patrick