[ic] Making use of the 'comments' field in the transactions table

Aaron Hazelton interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Fri Dec 27 14:14:00 2002

patrick.bennett@ccgenesis.com wrote:
> > patrick.bennett@ccgenesis.com wrote:
> > >
> > > I'm in the process of changing our client's order retreival
> > system to
> > > go from encrypted email to an encrypted order dump file that can
> > > be processed by a backend inventory system they are implementing.
> > > One of the records the system can process is an order notes
> > (comments)
> > > record, which I would like to populate with the 'comments'
> > > field of the
> > > transactions table.  But I can't see how to make use of
> that field.
> > > Right now, the comments are stuck in the email and the client gets
> > > them but they aren't stored in the database.
> >
> > I believe they are stored in the database, since in the
> > order_view page
> > of the admin they are retrived by:
> >      [loop-data transactions comments]
>
> Well, the code is on that page, but on the order page there's nowhere
> to actually enter the comments.  I looked at the demo and there isn't
> a comments field on the checkout page.  I've added one to my checkout
> page, but it only goes in the email to the store owner, and I want to
> make it go into the database.  So to take it up one level, if you add
> a field to the checkout page, how do you make sure that field gets
> populated in the database (assuming you've added a corresponding
> field to the transactions table)?

oh, I gotcha...  here's what you need to add ...

 TEXTAREA (or something)  [value name=gift_note]

I think that variable was from a few versions back.  then just make sure

that the following entry is in your etc/log_transactions file:

  comments: [value filter=mac name=gift_note]

that will add it when the record for the order is created.

--
Aaron