[ic] How to integrate Interchange with Taxware

Fri Feb 1 21:15:00 2002

Quoting wei.wei@iuniverse.com (wei.wei@iuniverse.com):
> Hi,
> 	It seems that the tax function in the Interchange is very simple and
> it cannot calculate and split the tax for counties, cities. Our current
> ecommerce system uses Taxware to perform the tax management/calculation. My
> question is, is there any way to hook the interchange with 3rd party tax
> management/calculation software, such as Taxware.

Try setting this in catalog.cfg:

	SalesTax multi

It will then do varying salestax lookups based on country or state, and
tax_category of product. (It is supported in the UI, but basically it is
nothing but a database editor.)

You could even do things by zip, but it would probably require writing
your own function based on something like Vend::Interpolate::tax_vat.
You can write quite complex functions to return sales tax by creating a
Global UserTag and setting

	SalesTax  [my-usertag]

in catalog.cfg.

It would not be difficult to do counties as well, but the one everyone
wants is New York and that has counties that cross zipcode boundaries,
so that is why Taxware is popular.

If they have a unix program which does the lookup, you could easily
write a [my-usertag] that called it.

phone +1.513.523.7621      <mheins@redhat.com>

-- Wernher Von Braun