[ic] are timed discounts per item possible?

Jason Balicki interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Tue Feb 12 21:39:01 2002

cfm@maine.com wrote:
> You probably mean start date and end date right, not something more
> hairbrained like "this discount only good for first 5 minutes of a
> shopping session".

Right, start date and end date.  This is actually to correspond with
timed discounts and instant rebates we get from our vendors, so we can,
to coin a market-speak phrase "pass the savings on to you."

> Why not use an external script to update the prices in your database?

Because then I would have to do it.  There is no one else at my
company even remotely capable of even maintaining such a script,
and I honestly don't have the time.  There are potentially thousands
of items that would need to be changed on an irregular basis, so
I can't even do it in a cron job. :(

> You'd probably want to modify some field "This discount good until
> Friday" etc....
>
> Then all you need is a text file like:
>
> #code  start   end   price    any_other_fields
>
> One person with that could do a better job than 20 doing
> point and click.  I guess that makes 19 unhappy.

I agree, believe me, but in addition to being a half-assed webmaster
and IC admin, I'm also admin for all of our in house services and
admin and network engineer for hundreds of clients.  I don't have
the time to keep up with the pricing, and I'd rather leave it to our
purchaser who would have that information anyway.  Your idea does
have merit though and could be worked into a solution, I just want
to take the extra step and tie it into the admin UI.

> Don't try to do everything in IC.

That does give me an idea.  I could do it in a web form outside
of IC, but if I'm going to do that, I might as well bite the
bullet and try to integrate it into the admin UI, as I think
this might be a useful feature for others using foundation as
their base.

--J(K)