[ic] ic 4.8.3 foundation - speeding searches

DB interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Fri Feb 15 09:29:00 2002

DB wrote...
 >> I'm kinda new to IC but I've read the docs and done some mailing
 >> list archive searches. I have my site up and running and am doing
 >>  final  tweaks before opening to the public. I'm using MYSQL and
 >> Redhat 7.1 and  have something like 40,000 records in my products
 >>  table and maybe 50  categories.
 >>
 >> Searches run pretty fast now, but I want to be sure I'm not
 >> overlooking something simple that would speed things even more.

 >> 1) I saw in the docs that a few of the fields in the products table
 >> are  unused in foundation. Would removing those columns altogether
 >>  help the  search speed at all?
 >>

 > Brev Patterson <bpatters@redhat.com> wrote...
 >
 > IC Database Docs : 1.7 Dictionary Indexing with INDEX

OK Thanks... I tried to create a index on the "comment" field, but
apparently some additional magic is needed to index a TEXT field. Maybe
I can simply change the "comment" field to something like VARCHAR(256)
and then index?

Searches on the "sku" field, which I know is indexed, don't seem any
faster than searches on the un-indexed "comment" field. Does this mean
my searches are already going about as fast as possible? Each takes
about 3-4 seconds which is not bad.

 > Also: IC Database Docs : 4.2 Glimpse IC Database Docs : 4.3 Fast
 > Binary Search

Fast binary wouldn't appear to be of use since it matches only the
beginning of a line. Glimpse looks promising but the documentation is a
little lean. But I'll give it a shot. Is it likely to help or should I
settle for 3-4 seconds?

DB