[ic] setting up my own server for running unix and ic

Doug Alcorn interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Tue Feb 19 10:16:01 2002

"catchersgearonly" <info@catchersgearonly.com> writes:

> How would I go about setting up my own server to run my own website
> at home.  Would this be feasable using my pc its a pentium 3 with
> 256mb ram 1 ghz processor.

This is more than enough for several catalogs.

> I have a cable modem which won't allow me to setup my own server so
> I am thinking about going to dsl. If I was to do this, what would I
> need to do to set up my own server and would dsl be fast enough to
> run a small ic website with little traffic.

The bandwidth isn't really an issue here.  You can serve up a catalog
with as little as 128K upstream (note that DSL typically has lower
upstream rates than cable modems do).

> How would I go about getting or buying an ip address or two(I
> believe I would get one with my dsl account.) Where do I get the
> server system ex.  linux unix whatever.  Would I need another server
> for email addresses.

Everybody's different.  You need to talk with your ISP (either cable
or DSL) about what it takes to get a static IP address.  While you're
at it, you'll need two.  To host a domain, every domain registrar
requires two static IP address to be running DNS that will resolve
your domain.  The trick is that you have to get your static IPs from
your ISP.  I don't think private citizens can own static IP blocks any
more.

> If anyone who has done this or knows how could give a few details it
> would be greatly appreciated.

I've been doing this exact setup for quite a while.  I had a "business
class" cable modem with four static IP addresses.  Here in Cincinnati,
that runs me $175/mo.  Then you've got availability issues.  Unless
you've got a T1, you don't have good availability.  Oh sure, it's good
enough for personal use; just not for serving (I typically get one or
two days a month down-time).  Also keep in mind you'll want to put a
firewall between your web server and the Internet.

All of this is a very good learning experience; but it's also a pain
in the butt.  What I'm in the process of doing as we speak is moving
over to a dedicated server.  Several places have reasonably priced
dedicated servers that removes all the head-ache of running a server
from your house.  You still get root; you still get to admin the box
and set it up the way you want it.

For me it's a wash.  I'm paying about $225/mo for my dedicated server.
However, it's much, much faster than the poor little box I had doing
serving before.  Also, my bandwidth is much higher and my availability
is higher.  The little bit extra a month is worth it for me to get
those features.  Another thing is that they do port monitoring for
me.

If you just have one catalog and all you're wanting to do is server
that catalog, I think the price is still to high.  There are several
people on this list (myself included) that will host a single catalog
for a much lower price than that (mine's $50/mo but I'm sure there are
some cheaper still).  It's up to you.  If you want to host your own so
that you can learn more about sys admin, more power to you.  If you
just want to sell stuff from one catalog I don't think it's worth the
head-ache of running a server for that one catalog.  Remember sys
admins wear pagers for a reason.
--
 (__) Doug Alcorn (mailto:doug@lathi.net http://www.lathi.net)
 oo / PGP 02B3 1E26 BCF2 9AAF 93F1  61D7 450C B264 3E63 D543