[ic] setting up my own server for running unix and ic

Aaron Hazelton interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Tue Feb 19 12:14:00 2002

> > How would I go about setting up my own server to run my own
> > website at home.
>
> Long story.

I have played with this thought myself, but keep in mind that if your
internet goes down (which is not that uncommon) your site also does...

> > Would this be feasable using my pc its a pentium 3 with
> 256mb ram 1 ghz
> > processor.
>
> Yes
>
> > I have a cable modem which won't allow me to setup my own
> server so I am
> > thinking about going to dsl. If I was to do this, what would I
> > need to do to
> > set up my own server and would dsl be fast enough to run a small
> > ic website
> > with little traffic.
>
> A machine and the knowledge to set it up, and yes. From the
> questions your
> asking I assume you are new to *nix systems and you are
> playing to setup an
> interchange store. I think you are bitting off more than you
> can chew. I
> would start by just doing an install and start playing with
> apache. Then you
> could move over to DNS & email. Once you can setup, maintain and
> troubleshoot these key demons, you can start playing with
> interchange. Also
> it would be helpfull if you had a little code running through
> your blood.

I have set up a dedicated server and am now running interchange on it.
I will say that there is NO WAY I could have done this from the start.
For several months now I have been working with Interchange and now im
pretty confident with running it on my own.  I would really recommend a
virtual type host account while you work with it some first....

> > How would I go about getting or buying an ip address  or
> two(I believe I
> > would get one with my dsl account.)
>
> A "static" ip address should come with the service.
>
> > Where do I get the server system ex.
> > linux unix whatever.
>
> Unix you better pull out your check book. Many different
> distros of Linux
> can be down loaded from many sites.
>
> >Would I need another server for email addresses.
>
> Probably not.
>
> > Another option I might have is bringing my computer to my
> school who has
> > their own personal network and a router which connects them to
> > the internet
> > through a t1 line.  I might be able to get permission to hook up
> > to their t1
> > through their router.  Would I have to buy my own ip address and
> > again still
> > setup a server on my computer.
>
> IPs are given out by your upstream provider. Some are free
> some are not.
>
> > If anyone who has done this or knows how could give a few
> details it would
> > be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Kevin