[ic] Gifting (was Can I do this?)

Jim Musil interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Thu Feb 21 18:57:00 2002

>>1. When an order is a gift, can the customer specify that it is a
>>gift and input a special message that would be sent to the store
>>admin with the order? I suspect this would be a simple option
>>perhaps using a widget ... or something ...
>
>This has been part of IC demos since the Minivend days, and most of
>the code is still there, but for some reason the input box was
>omitted from checkout.html, at some point. Try adding this to that
>file, just above the Place Order button:
>
>Special instructions / Gift note:<br>
><textarea name=gift_note rows=4 cols=50>[value gift_note]</textarea>
>
>You should see whatever you enter on the email receipt and store
>copy.  If it doesn't get logged to the order table, modify
>etc/log_transaction to record the note in the appropriate field in
>transactions (I think there is a comments field).

Thanks! That makes sense. Except that would mean that an order can
only be all one gift or not a gift at all. This doesn't fit our needs
because customers will buy gifts for several different people all at
once. Since you have the option of specifying different delivery
addresses for each portion of your order, there must be a way to also
attach a gift message/comment to each item in your order.

If I have to I'll modify the code, but it seems like there would be
an easier and quicker way.

--
Jim Musil
---------