[ic] RE: PayPal working with IC (changed to much kowtowing, genuflecting and eating of words)

Julia Jacobs interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Thu Feb 21 21:00:01 2002

JK> The default Interchange install will not store credit card numbers in
JK> the userdb, you have to modify it to do that.  I didn't say that PayPal
JK> couldn't be integrated into Interchange, I said it would take some work,
JK> primarily because Interchange is far more powerful (and complex) than
JK> most of the shopping cart software that already supports paypal.  I also
JK> didn't refuse to integrate, I just pointed out that your 'easier'
JK> integration method was fundamentally flawed.

I see.

JK> I was under the impression that were suggesting that the person enter
JK> their username and password which would then get passed to Interchange,
JK> and have Interchange submit it as part of a transaction.  Since you seem
JK> to instead be asking why we can't just plugin the paypal system the way
JK> they provide it, I will appologize for misunderstanding, and explain the
JK> real problem  =).  The main problem is that you have to leave
JK> Interchange in order to complete the payment, which means Interchange
JK> has to enter your order in the order database, and then send you off to
JK> paypal, which leaves it up to the merchant to check paypal and determine
JK> if you actually paid after you left the site before shipping your order.
JK> The easiest idea I had to integrate this was to have Interchange enter
JK> the order with a flag in the order table indicating that the order had
JK> not been finalized yet, and then to toggle the flag once paypal posted
JK> the payment information back to you and Interchange verified that the
JK> payment was authentic.  This is the structure I have worked on
JK> implementing, but as I mentioned, the real answer to 'whhhhyyyy won't
JK> you make a PayPal mod' is 'if you want it free, you get it whenever it
JK> happens to be done, if you want it now, you should hire someone to build
JK> it for you'

Again, light bulbs are going off in my head. I will e-mail sales and get a
quote.

JK> I'm not sure who you mean here when you say 'you', but I emphatically do
JK> not trust merchants with anything if their checkout form is not secure.
JK> If you are referring to the fact that you can setup Interchange on a
JK> non-secure web server, there is not a lot that we can do about that, but
JK> if you think that behavior is flawed, you should file a bug report.

I appreciate your calm response to my rather immature, ignorant rant.  I
will try to educate myself on Interchanges features before jumping to such
rabid conclusions in the future.

--
Julia Jacobs
Currant Media