[ic] RE: PayPal working with IC (changed to selling overseas)?

Lyn St George interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Sat Feb 23 08:46:02 2002

On Thu, 21 Feb 2002 14:41:37 -0500, Julia Jacobs wrote:

>On 2/21/02 2:12 PM, "Lyn St George" <lyn@zolotek.net> wrote:
>
>> In fact, many merchants outside of the US are not able to get merchant
>> accounts because the banks are simply too paranoid. While US
>> banks seem to give away merchant accounts with every Big Mac, you
>> do need a US incorporated company and a genuine US address to get
>> one, which rules out "foreigners". The real alternative in this case is a
>> bureau account, not Paypal.
>
>What's a bureau account?  I know virtually nothing about selling online
>overseas, but desperately need to educate myself. Any information you can
>offer to me from your experiences would be worth its weight in gold.  If I
>can offer you anything in return I would be glad to do so.

Sorry for the delay in replying. A bureau account may be better known in
the US as a "3rd party" account. Basically, it is a merchant who has the
special type of merchant account which is authorised for sharing with
other merchants. One example (a bad one, take note, but their web
site explains it all quite well) is Netbanx.com. Another example, and this
is the one which my client will use instead of PayPal, is 2checkout.com.
They give you the choice of using their own shopping cart on their site
(using very simple links to it), using their 'perl cart' on your site, or using
your own choice, ie Interchange. Rates are very reasonable, and they
would have to be one of the best bureaux available if anyone needs to
use one.

>--
>Julia Jacobs
>Currant Media
>407-977-4523
>Fax 407-261-0176
>http://www.currantmedia.com
>Members of The Better Business Bureau
>* Multimedia Producers
>* Web Design & Development
>* 2D/3D Graphics/Animation
>* Hosting, domain and e-mail
>* E-Commerce ­ check, credit card validation

Cheers
Lyn St George
+ http://www.zolotek.net .. eCommerce hosting, consulting
+ http://www.os2docs.org .. some 'How To' stuff ...