[ic] Reliability of IC

Tue Feb 26 13:11:01 2002

On Tue, Feb 26, 2002 at 09:43:59AM -0800, Ed LaFrance wrote:
> At 10:54 AM 02/26/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>

> >As part of my research into interchange, I joined this list to see what
> >kinds of problems developers are running into on a regular basis.
> >
> >I think the power and flexibility and open-source support of interchange
> >is amazing, but I'm wondering how reliable it is.
> >
> >Is it conceivable that, as an independent developer, I could build out a
> >fairly simple cart/store and then walk away?
>
> Absolutely. The routine maintenance stuff - expiring dead sessions,
> deleting temp files, etc - can easily be handled with cron jobs.  If you
> have database-specific needs like archiving or deleting aged data, even
> that can be automated once you get a handle on Interchange programming. I
> rarely hear from my completed projects, except to occasionally add new
> features and answer "what if" questions - their stores just hum right along.

Routine stuff you can automate, yes, but walk away, I don't think so.  We
have stores where owners make no changes, and don't even add products over
the course of a year, but we still need to check them every software upgrade
or database overhaul, so forth and so on.

I suppose if you had a standalone box and put debian 'stable' on it, then
you might only need to do that couple of years or when security upgrades
came out.  :-)