[ic] Adult Confirmation Page

Wed Feb 27 17:25:01 2002

On Wed, 27 Feb 2002, Curt Hauge wrote:

CH>>Sorry I don't have the answer you are looking for, but perhaps you should
CH>>talk to your client about the implications of this type of design. IMHO, you
CH>>are asking for trouble mixing adult novelties with general types of
CH>>products/info. I have been faced with this question myself and after talking
CH>>with my client, we agreed it was not a good idea. Perhaps you could use a
CH>>splash page with two 'zones' and install two catalogs,
CH>>www.mycat.com/everyone and www.mycat.com/adults. I don't think this is a
CH>>good choice either, because you are still presenting an opportunity for a
CH>>minor child to 'check it out'.

This reminds me of a similar issue some years back when sex lines on 800
numbers were more prevalent and the issue was how 'sellers' were to know
that they weren't selling porn to kid over the phone. The courts finally
said that as long as the person has a credit card, then assume that they are
over 18 and it's all right to sell the porn to them.

In todays world that is no longer a valid test.

And, it puts us right back to the thorny issues of 10 years ago, except in a
different arena.

If a 14-year-old orders an inflatable doll that you are selling, how is one
going to be sure that the customer is truly an adult? I know for damned sure
that if I were a 14-year-old in todays world I would be setting up the
necessary credentials to make everyone believe that I was 22 so that I could
buy inflatable dolls (for my science class, of course!). And, it doesn't
seem to me to be all that difficult to fabricate such a personna.

So, how do we, as e-merchants, protect ourselves and protect todays kids,
and still mkae an honest living?

-= Jim =-

Tagline for Wednesday, February 27, 2002 at 17:25 PM:
One good turn gets most of the blanket.

This Linux System has been up 1388 hours