[ic] Adult Confirmation Page/delima ?

Robert Brandtjen interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Wed Feb 27 21:03:00 2002

On Wednesday 27 February 2002 04:35 pm, Jim Balcom wrote:
> So, how do we, as e-merchants, protect ourselves and protect todays kids,
> and still mkae an honest living?

The problem here is the reality of the world - anyone can get a hold of a
housemate's Visa or Master card and make a transaction - there is nothing you
can do about that - nothing. There is no way to guarantee that anyone is who
they say they are - no way. Especially in America - a place where teenagers
are routinely given credit cards and cell phones, automobiles being a
necessity, not a luxury.

And, in spite of the supposed need nowadays to feel we must police everyone
else, we really don't have that responsibility - the parents of those
children do, however.

There are browsers out there - made for kids
(http://www.isafari.com/IS_demo.html), that will absolutely block any and all
adult content, while allowing them to view the Venus DE Milo - if those
parents don't buy such safe guards for their children (mine are routed
through a linux box which cuts their access off for them) then that is that
child's misfortune. If you are concerned about this, then don't publish adult
content.
--
 Robert Brandtjen