[ic] Adding Special Admin Area - Basic Questions

Dog Tags interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Wed Jul 3 13:30:01 2002

Hi Racke

Thanks so much. I'm gonna dig into this shortly. It would be a BIG help to our effort to get this working. It sounds like something that I'll be able to tackle, or pretty close.

Thanks, again. :-)

> 1. Can a separate admin area be added without too much trouble?

Yes, you can just put any page into pages/admin of your catalog,
which will
override an existing UI page or is a completely new option, like
pages/admin/dogtags.html.

You can integrate a new page by editing products/icmenu.txt in the
right way
(it is just another IC database) and reconfig the catalog.

> 2. Can I simply copy over some admin sections, do some renaming,
and have it accessed like the following:

> http://www.mysite.com/cgi-bin/foundation/specialadmin/index.html

Creating special admin sections is easy too, you need just a login
page like
the UI one and put a header to all other pages like that:

[if !session logged_in]
[bounce page="dogtags/login"]
[/if]

You can check almost any attribute of your users here.

> 3. Must I adjust the cookies to create a separate group of users,
or can I simply create a list of user names that the special admin
section will be activated for?

Add an special attribute for these users to access or userdb and
check it
on top of these pages.

Ciao
        Racke