[ic] Is there limitations on number of catalogs run?

Kevin Walsh interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Thu Jul 4 12:49:01 2002

> This is in relation to the previous e-mail I sent wherein I stated I've
> been having problems with my Apache web servers recently being unable to
> spawn children.  I guess what's happening is that the interchange user is
> running interchange binary in cgi-bin and taking too much resources so after
> a few hours, cgi-bin in general won't work.  Is that the case?  I have
> defined 6 catalogs with high traffic in interchange.cfg.  Is there a
> limit to number of catalogs I can define per interchange.cfg?  Can I run
> multiple interchange processes?  I see only one when I do "ps."  Is there
> anything I can do to ensure that I can have multiple catalogs without
> hosing my web server?
>
> I have defined the interchange user to be able to run in 10MB memory space
> and max nproc of 200.  My Apache user is likewise defined.  I also have
> the expireall daily as recommended.

Attempting to squeeze six Interchange sites into 10MB of memory
will most likely turn out to be the cause of your problems.  One
of my local test servers has two sites defined, with memory usage
as follows:

     SIZE   TRS   RSS  SHARE  COMMAND
    24184   552   23M  17544  interchange
    23944   552   23M  17816  interchange
    23880   552   23M  17768  interchange
    23724   552   23M  17996  interchange
    22692   552   22M  18288  interchange

The machine also has a bunch of MySQL processes that look like this:

     SIZE   TRS   RSS  SHARE  COMMAND
    13108  1104  2580   1104  mysqld

...and a bunch of Apache processes that look like this:

     SIZE   TRS   RSS  SHARE  COMMAND
     4640   168  1924   1672  httpd

...and various other memory-munchers.

There is no coded limit to the number of Interchange sites you may
run on a single server.  Your limit appears to be governed by the
amount of memory you have.

Memory is cheap at the moment - give your server a couple of GB and
be done with it.

> Furthermore, any recommendations on what timeout per child should I set?
> I have each child web process die after 100 requests.  Is that too low?

That's fine.