[ic] Post-install problems

Ed LaFrance interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Sat Jul 6 11:05:01 2002

At 11:57 AM 7/5/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>On 7/5/02 9:05, "Ed LaFrance" <edl@newmediaems.com> wrote:
>
> > At 01:32 AM 7/5/2002 -0700, you wrote:
> >> Following install of 4.8.5, I am not able to enter either the customer
> area
> >> or the admin area. Browser reports permission problem:
> >>
> >> Forbidden
> >> You don't have permission to access /gem1.cgi/index.html on this server.
> >>
> >> This is most peculiar behavior; I know the gem1.cgi is an executable, but
> >> the link on the portal page makes it behave as a directory since the path
> >> shown in the error appears to be in a directory. I have enabled ExecCGI in
> >> the path where the catalogs appear. I made sure the interchange server was
> >> running. What else needs fixing?
> >>
> >> The URL is http://www.geminimanor.com/gem1/
> >
> > Is Apache set to run cgi scripts right in your htdocs space? Because that
> > is how that path seems to be cofigured. Usually it would be like:
> >
> > http://www.geminimanor.com/cgi-bin/gem1.cgi/index.html
> >
> > ...with a separate cgi-bin directory on the server.
> >

>Ed,
>
>I wish I knew what exactly the <catalog-name>.cgi was; it is created by the
>makecat script and on my system it got put in the cgi-bin directory for the
>whole server, which is serving up 10 virtual domains.

It is a small program to direct requests to the IC daemon.

>If I allow CGI execution in my docs directory, I get this error:
>
>Not Found
>The requested URL /gem1.cgi/admin/index.html was not found on this server.

Either something is misspelled or gem1.cgi is not actually being executed,
I would think.

>If I set ExecCGI in the gem1 directory, I get this:
>
>Forbidden
>You don't have permission to access /gem1.cgi/admin/index.html on this
>server.
>
>Neither one of these is right. I'd like to know what's going on here. I
>tried moving the gem1.cgi from the server cgi-bin into a separate cgi-bin
>directory for this domain, and get the same error (this includes setting
>ScriptAlias for this directory.)
>
>Mark

Mark - to be non-technical for a moment, it sounds like things are messed
up. You may want to make a fresh start with a new catalog. Keep these
points in mind:

1. Know your paths and domain names. Intechange will be asking you for the
htdocs directory, cgi-bin directory, place to install the catalog files
(these are different than the "sample html" files) and the domain name
under which the catalog will run, among other questions - but these are the
key ones to answer correctly.

2. Test your cgi. As a matter of fact, there is a really simple script
called testcgi in the Interchange dist directory. Put that in the cgi
executables folder for the domain in question, chmod 755, then try to pull
it up in your browser:

http://www.yourdomain.com/cgi-dir/testcgi

If you get anything other than a short text message, your have
configuration issues with Apache.

- Ed L.

Increase profits from your Interchange store...
http://www.newmediaems.com/cgi-bin/nm/software_fus.html
(866) 519-4680 Toll-Free       (530) 622-9426 Fax