[ic] IC 4.8.5 under FreeBSD 4.6 and 4.5 and trouble with genconfig and version.tag

Joachim Leidinger interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Fri Jul 12 07:30:02 2002

Richard Mahoney wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 06:07:46PM -0400, Mike Heins wrote:
>

>>Quoting Joachim Leidinger (jojo@blackpoint.de):
>>
>>>Hi List,
>>>
>>>Sascha Klauder and I notice a misbavior with IC 4.8.5, which is running
>>>under FreeBSD 4.5 and 4.6.
>>>
>>>Sascha and I get a perl core dump file, if we logged in as an
>>>administrator and clicked the button "Administration". Sascha has tried
>>>out, that this happen, if a function getpwuid from the usertag
>>>version.tag is called. If we comment the line like
>>>
>>>#               push @out, scalar getpwuid($>) . " (uid $>)";
>>>
>>>in the usertag version.tag, it works well.
>>>
>>>I've an older FreeBSD machine with version 4.4 with the same perl
>>>Verions 5.6.1_6 and IC Version 4.8.5. The page "genconfig" works well with
>>>
>>>                push @out, scalar getpwuid($>) . " (uid $>)";
>>>
>>>Any idea, why we get the trouble with FreeBSD 4.5/4.6 and IC 4.8.5, if
>>>we are calling the page genconfig in UI?
>>
>>Remember the FAQ:
>>
>>    Any time there is a core dump it is a Perl or module or external
>>    program problem, not an Interchange problem.
>

> Dear Sascha & co.. Thank heavens I subscribed to this list! I have
> only just installed Interchange on FreeBSD 4.6-STABLE and have been
> concerned with just this problem. I encounter it with the Foundation
> demo running perl version 5.005_03 built for i386-freebsd.
>
> If you find a fix for perl or can make any further suggestions can you
> please post them to the list?

As Mike Heins and other people always said, use the newest perl. Also
use Perl Version 5.6.x! With my experience with IC Version > 4.x!
Running under Perl 5.005.x is very bad and the catalogs is running very
slow in that old perl version. You have no problem to install Perl 5.6.x
beside the default perl.

Try it and if you have still problem, ask me once more.

ciao

Joachim

--
Hans-Joachim Leidinger | Dipl.-Phys.Ing. Entwicklung eCommerce
[leidinger@bpanet.de]