[ic] shipping problem

Steve Graham interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Mon Jul 15 22:24:02 2002

>From: "Ron Phipps" <rphipps@reliant-solutions.com>
>To: <interchange-users@icdevgroup.org>
>Subject: RE: [ic] shipping problem
>Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 11:38:54 -0700
>
> > From: harsh
> >
> > hi i am having problems with the checkout page , shipping mainly. its
> > giving wierd Rave unable to connect errors.  and many funky issues
>like
> > not adding the charge or not show ing certain shipping choices.
> >
> > any help?
>
>We are experiencing the same issues right now and will most likely go to
>table based lookups as the online method does not seem reliable.  During
>my testing with a small perl script I noticed the Rave errors as well,
>it looks too be a problem on UPS's side.  I encourage you to contact
>UPS's tech support and let them know, I have already done so, the more
>emails the more likely to get a quick response.
>
>Thanks,
>-Ron

I was talking about this in a previous email entitled [shipping].
Foundation 4.8.5 makes about 3-4 calls to [shipping] during the order
process/checkout with each one waiting on results from UPS. I think this can
be resolved by adding a finalize page to the checkout routine, and at this
point the [shipping] amount should be stored in a session variable with no
further calls to [shipping].
The way foundation 4.8.5 stands right now is inefficient (the way I
understand it).

-Steve