[ic] Cluster and/or load balancing question

Dan Browning interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Tue Jul 16 14:18:01 2002

At 09:04 AM 7/15/2002 +0200, you wrote:

>>>Dear Mike,
>>>
>>>did you have a white paper to use IC in a cluster with oder without
>>>SQL-Server?
>>>
>>>Thanks!
>>>
>>>Joachim
>>
>>I've thought of writing one, since it is really quite simple (well, for
>>IC's part anyway -- clusters in general are often non-intuitive).
>>However, the thought hasn't yet turned into action as yours is the first
>>query I've seen in a few months.
>
>Dan,
>
>are you so kind to tell me or us a short summary of your experience with
>IC in a cluster, if you have a little bit time?
>
>Thank you!
>
>Joachim

I think clustering is great.  Two medium boxes are about as expensive as
one *big* box, and you get more performance for the dollar, not to mention
the SPOF decreases some.  I went with LVS and IP affinity (so I could load
balance SSL connections as well), and some other program that notifies my
cell via email anytime a server goes down.

I haven't clustered the database yet, but if I did I would probably try
DBI::Multiplex (I think that's what its called) first.  As far as
Interchange fits in, everything went great except for the CPAN
CounterFile.pm module used by Interchange isn't NFS-safe yet (i.e. doesn't
use fcntl locks).  However, it hasn't yet caused any problems for us;
although I suppose if it did, it could be hacked to support fcntl.

| Dan Browning, Kavod Technologies <db@kavod.com>
"I can resist anything but temptation."