[ic] Normalized database for the Foundation demo.

* * interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Mon Jul 22 06:51:03 2002

Hi all,

I've been testing/evaluating IC the entire week-end for a personal project.

I'm pretty new to IC and love the product but there is a slight problem.

This is what I did: I ran a ‘makecat mystore’ and used MySQL as RDBMS.
I than went on to test a few things. Filled in my cart, checked out, created
a user (with the wrong country information – not on purpose), placed the
order, went to the admin section to see the order, edited the user (with the
right country information), and then went on to check if the order was
updated accordingly… and it wasn’t.
(That’s what led me to think that the DB was NOT normalized).

My point is :
Since (I think that) the Foundation Demo is the base for most production
applications How difficult would it be to normalize (to the 3rd form) its
database and which part of the app and the admin area would be affected.

An idea would be keep the Demo as is, and create a shell script that would
normalize the DB and run through the webpages code to modify it accordingly.
I think this would not disturb the upgrade process.

If this feature is not of interest to other developers, I’m willing to do it
myself.
I would just need some insight on where to start and a reference to a good
Perl tutorial (I’m a java developer with C/C++ academic background).

Cheers,
Dominique.

p.s. : Interchange is a kick-a** application.