[ic] demo seems to be broken

Jon Jensen interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Wed Jul 24 14:25:01 2002

On Wed, 24 Jul 2002, john laroe wrote:

> Thing #1:
> Your demo seems to be broken ... but only if it's intended to be accessible
> to anonymous folks who are interested in seeing how Interchange works for
> administrators.
>
> Admin log-in page displays this text:
> >  Username: (none)    StoreID: ic3
> >  24 July 2002 10:27:36 (admin/login)
> ... but, if that's supposed to be a guide to logging into the admin demo:
>     (a) there is no place to input a StoreID, and
>     (b) none of the following "username"/"password" combinations work
>        ""/"ic3"
>        "none"/"ic3"
>        "admin"/"login" (tried this one JIC)
> If that's not supposed to work, I'd suggest putting some information on the
> page as to how a user should go about getting ahold of information that
> does. Like, if we're supposed to contact a sales rep who will give us a
> temporary login, how do we go about that, etc.
>
> If one of those combinations *is* supposed to work, well it doesn't; and it
> probably needs better labelling anyway, when it does work, which it doesn't.

I'm not sure how you got to the demo. The normal route is through the main
demo site page at http://demo.icdevgroup.org/ which clearly states that
the username is 'demo' and password is 'demo'. But as you've shown, it's
possible for someone to miss that, so I added the same information to the
demo login page.

> Thing #2:
> Your pages are trying to write "illegal cookies." That's not reassuring to
> people who are researching their options in eCommerce.
>
> I'm not saying you're breaking the law, just that "a path in the cookie
> does not match the page address;" and security-conscious folks will refuse
> those cookies, which could keep cookie-dependent portions of your site from
> functioning properly. (See above?)

Hmm. I'm going to pass on this one.

> Thing #3:
> I'm writing to this maillist because there was no place else I could find
> on the site to advise you of this stuff.

This is a fine place to report such things.

Jon