FreeBSD Bug (Was: Re: [ic] IC 4.8.2 Segmentation fault and core dumped)

Stefan Hornburg Racke interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Mon Jul 29 19:41:00 2002

Dennis Schoen <dennis@cobolt.net> writes:

> On Tue, Oct 09, 2001 at 10:39:01AM +0200, Joachim Leidinger wrote:
> > Hi List,
> >
> > I try to use the mailarchives with
> > http://developer.akopia.com/cgi-bin/htsearch with no luck. Is the
> > mailarchivs down?
> >
> > I've fetched IC 4.8.2 and after Installation, I get a "segmentation
> > fault (core dumped) and I'm missing the v/tlink source from
> > /path-to-IC-4.8.2/src! There are no source files of vlink and tlink.
> > Why?
> > IC 4.8.1 runs fine without any trouble. What is the cause? I use FreeBSD
> > 4.3!
> >
> > Any hints, tips and suggestions are very wellcome!
>  I just discussed that issue with mike on irc:
>
> <dennis> mike: any news about the 4.8.2 freebsd bug?
> <mike> Which bug would that be?
> <dennis> read the mailinglist? :) segfault on startup
> <dennis> jojo was the last one who reported it
> <mike> Aha, that is a Perl bug
> <mike> You have to define setproctitle=define or something when building
> <dennis> standard perl in freebsd broken?
> <mike> Yes, the distro Perl is broken that is nothing new with FreeBSD....

Well, Jojo, his brother and I examined this problem and it seems that this
problem is rather a bug in FreeBSD than in the Perl implementation.
Jojo's brother provided a changelog entry for FreeBSD and therefore this bug
isn't exhibited with Free BSD 4.6, while it bails out with FreeBSD 4.4 and
Perl 5.005 and Perl 5.6.1.

We are ready to test FreeBSD with Perl 5.8, which is expected to have safer
signal handling, but there is a problem with the port.

Are there more people out there running FreeBSD and Interchange ?

Ciao
        Racke

--
Prolific Interchange Consulting (Excellent German Quality !).
Take a look at Materialboerse (http://www.materialboerse.de/), WITT