FreeBSD Bug (Was: Re: [ic] IC 4.8.2 Segmentation fault and core dumped)

Tim McCullagh interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Tue Jul 30 06:48:02 2002

Hi

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joachim Leidinger" <jojo@blackpoint.de>

> That is fine to hear! But did you have any problem with IC and FreeBSD?
> Did you use FreeBSD 4.5 or 4.6 and are you able to go into the admin
> page (UI) and can you successfully use the button "Administration"?
> Without a "Internal Server error..." messages?

I got a few error messages on all the versions.   In essence i had to
shift the interchange/bin directory to /usr/local/interchange/bin path, as
well as ensure all the permissions where set up correctly.   The other issue
related to the tlink and vlink's.  From memory I had to create them
manually on FreeBSD 4.5.   I found all the info  in the mailing list
archives or docs on how to fix
all the problems.  It wasn't a big deal though.

Most of the Internal Server errors I got related to permission related
problems

I have had Minivend 3/4  on  FreeBSD 3.1 / 3.4 and
Interchange 4.8.3 on FreeBSD 4.5 Perl 5.005_03 with MySQL and PostgreSQL
7.0 - 7.2

> There is a problem with the UI usertag version.tag to get the uid via
> [version extended=1 uid=1]. Stefan and I will debug if at thuesday and
> we want to try out the cause of that problem or so.

I didn't have any trouble at all with the UI.   Once I was able to start
interchange, everything worked as I guess it should

> I'm surprised because I asked all FreeBSD and IC users about their
> experiences and problems with IC running under FreeBSD and got no
> response.

I wouldn't have answered as i am not in the same league as the other guru's
on the lists, sorry about that.  There are many people that answer all the
difficult and not so difficult questions posted.

> Only two persons I was in touch with me personally gave me
> feedback on this subject.

Personally I think Interchange is world class software, but i think that
many have difficulty with the open source nature which means that we all
need to read the fine material and mailing lists to get it to work.. (I am
one of them at times)

I will be reinstalling Interchange 4.8.X in the next few weeks on FreeBSD
4.6_p2.  I will document the install and any problems and fixes and post to
the list.

Thanks again to the developers and maintainers

Regards

Tim