[ic] ship only to US

Jim Balcom interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Fri Jun 28 20:21:01 2002

On Fri, 28 Jun 2002, Paul Jordan wrote:

PJ>>> Is there a simple way to only allow orders to one country?  Right
PJ>>> now, only
PJ>>> shipping to US customers via Priority Mail is allowed.  This works, but if
PJ>>> the customer is not from the US, then the order goes through without
PJ>>> calculation shipping, which we don't want.
PJ>>>
PJ>>> Thanks,
PJ>>>
PJ>>> Bill Shupp
PJ>>
PJ>>
PJ>>Are you saying that you don't sell internationally at all?
PJ>>
PJ>>If so I would think you could edit table products/country.txt and remove
PJ>>foreign country names. This way the foreign countries will not be available
PJ>>in the Country dropdown on checkout.
PJ>>
PJ>>Alternatively, you could just hardcode the country value, and display
PJ>>"Untied States" or "United States Only". If they can't tell you their
PJ>>country, they won't order.

Unfortunately, this won't slow them down.

Canada has gotten progressively worse and worse. I had totally shut off all
other foreign countries because of the customs, duties, taxes, etc. But I
had kept Canada out of compassion.

I was shipping into Canada via FedEx Ground and/or Express. I shipped a 5
pound package to Alberta by ground. A week later, I got a bill for
transportation. A month later I got a bill from FedEx for customs, VAT, and
who knows what else. By the time it was all done, I had spent $100 to
transport that 5# package of diapers into Alberta! (Including taxes, etc)

Canada refuses to inform FedEx on a timely basis what the added charges are,
so I have no way of knowing what to charge the customer. I have no way of
calculating these costs in advance so that I can charge for them at the time
of the sale. I averaged out a number of my FedEx bills and calculated the
total shipping/vat/customs based on weight and charged that for shipping. I
then received a significant amount of abuse, foul language and derogatory
names because I was 'gouging' them.

I removed all of the non-USA stuff from IC, made it clear on the check out
page that we don't do Canada any more, I don't calculate shipping to Canada
and still they try to place orders. I had one just the other day. He made
several phone calls to me trying to get me to ship!

A classic was when Canadian customs delayed a package to Nova Scotia for SIX
weeks and I had refunded the customer his money for the order!

I would love to sell and ship to customers in Canada, but Canada is not
friendly!

-= Jim =-

                   .-.
                   /v\
                  // \\
                 /(   )\
                 ^^ - ^^
          > Phear the Penguin <
              L  I  N  U  X

Tagline for Friday, June 28, 2002 at 20:00 PM:
Are we having Fahrvergnugen yet??

This Linux System has been up 35 hours