[ic] Mac OSX viable as a development platform?

Robert Brandtjen interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Tue Mar 5 17:53:20 2002

On Tuesday 05 March 2002 04:13 pm, Michael Stearne wrote:
> Seriously, I have seen posts about this subject.  I got 4.8.2 to run
> with no problems on 10.1.  I haven't tried it since then, so maybe it
> has broken for some reason.  I will try it if I get a chance tonight on
> OS X Server 10.1.3.

One of my very best friends claimed that as well - then couldnt figure out
why various aspects of it wouldn't work right -

As an addendum to the perl mods portion of it - I strongly recommend not
using the interchange package - gut doing each in turn individually and doing
them in their correct dependancy order.

The thing is this: You can get nearly anything to run on OSX, but considering
the hassel, why bother ? I have fallen in love with Linux - particularly RH -
and I used to love Next Step/OSX (rhapsody).

I like not having to find out what bizzare build commands I need to use in
order to get stuff to run right - hell, you can't even install Sendmail on it
without getting errors - it runs, but it's crippled.

As a further aside - you can't even upgrade your own GCC - apple must do it
when they get around to it, and from there, you can then upgrade Perl.

All in all, the old OSX1.2 (rhapsody) was far more BSD compliant then the new
one was.

Now if I could just get WebObjects to install on Linux (the way you could get
the old one too) I'd be in heaven.
--
 Robert Brandtjen