[ic] Mac OSX viable as a development platform?

Robert Brandtjen interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Wed Mar 6 01:07:01 2002

On Tuesday 05 March 2002 10:10 pm, Chris Devers wrote:
> ...except that the Mac, well, Just Worked -- Out Of the Box. It's nice to
> hear that the X config scripts are getting easier to work with, but
> they're still not automatic or transparent, as IMO they should be.

The only way it could be more transparent would be to read my mind - mine
also just worked - out of the box, so to speak - see, you don't seem to
understand that in the i686 world, we have genuine choice - choice that Apple
removed from you - you have two Video cards to choose from now - I have
several hundred that are supported. You have 3 machines supported - again, I
have hundreds of possibilites - all the way back to a 286 on the intel side
and PPC601 on the Apple side.

>FreeBSD or RedHat working properly), but efforts to put the same software
>on a known good PC didn't have more luck, so Debian isn't off the hook.

well, all I can say is, RH and YDL work fine by me - can't say anything about
Debian, never considered it - I checked on Google first. I also had no
trouble with MKLinux - back about, ohh, 1996 or so.

>Further -- and again, this may have changed -- every Linux installer I've
>seen forces you to know *way* too much information about your hardware.

You mean like what video card your using? or what ethernet card you have ? It
guessed mine - see, again, apples knows you have only one of two
possibilities in the vid card realm, and one in the ethernet realm - go
ahead, by  video card off the shelf, or better yet, an ethernet card, or
maybe a scsi card ? or how about a tape drive, try that and see what it does.

>[b] So what if it does? Are you maybe thinking of WinXP here, with it's
 >   activation system? I'll agree, that's bad, but OSX isn't doing
 >   anything like that. Admit it, you're just trolling here...

Umm, your the one putting down Linux on a RH list, are you not ?
"rpm -ivh interchange-4.8.3-1.noarch.rpm"
beats the hell out of anything else I can see.............
--
 Robert Brandtjen