[ic] starting postmaster with "-i" option with demo database

Gill, Jeffrey L interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Fri Mar 8 19:58:01 2002

Thanks Art line 321-328 "i" option answer.

I am running RH 7.1 and IC 4.8.

When I try to verify the status of the postmaster
with "pg_ctl status -D /path-to-data"
I get an error that the database can not be found.

What is the correct path when using the default database
within IC?  Note: my database name is store1. I have located the
store1 dirs but I am still not sure what the correct path should be
for pg_ctl _d parameter or for the variable $PGDATA.

Jeff

-----Original Message-----
From: Art Popp [mailto:artpopp@gte.net]
Sent: Friday, March 08, 2002 9:46 AM
To: interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Subject: Re: [ic] starting postmaster with "-i" option with demo
database

Gill, Jeffrey L wrote:

>> How do you automatically start the postmaster with the "-i" option to
allow
>> TCP/IP connections

Andrew McBeath's advice seems like an excellent solution, and his
instructions making sure the
database was initialized would have saved me an hour's worth of
headscratching when I first
started running Postgresql.

I'm running RH 7.2, with PostgreSQL 7.1, and when trying to set up
Internet access I was impressed (intimidated by?)
all the work pg_ctl seems to do to properly start the postmaster.  Not
understanding all that was going on, I wanted
to plant the -i in the options with the least impact on all the parts I
didn't understand.

line 321-328 of /usr/bin/pg_ctl
    if [ -n "$logfile" ]; then
        "$po_path" "-i" "$@"  </dev/null >>$logfile 2>&1 &
    else
        # when starting without log file, redirect stderr to stdout, so
        # pg_ctl can be invoked with >$logfile and still have pg_ctl's
        # stderr on the terminal.
        "$po_path" "-i" "$@" </dev/null 2>&1 &
    fi

    I inserted the "-i"'s on the second line from the top and second
from the bottom.  And it works nicely.

Art