[ic] Shipping Question

Thu Mar 14 18:38:01 2002

On Thu, 14 Mar 2002, John Mann wrote:

JM>>I have a problem modifying the shipping charges on my Interchange inventory.
JM>>What I want to be able to do is charge fixed shipping charges based on
JM>>individual items. Item A has X shipping, Item B has Y shipping, and so
JM>>forth. The problem is that very few items have the same shipping costs. I
JM>>want to be able to alert the customer to the shipping charges on the item
JM>>page (which I can do), and when the item enters the cart, it should tally
JM>>the correct shipping. This shipping is not based on price, size, or weight -
JM>>it is based on a combination of these.
JM>>
JM>>What I need is fixed shipping per item, but this shipping isn't universal.
JM>>Is it possible to store the shipping price in the item/stock database along
JM>>with the rest of the item's information? And how would I go about doing
JM>>this?

How about setting the weight of each item relative to the shipping cost?
Say, if you want the shipping on widgets to be $5.00 set the weight at 5 #.
Gadgets are $10.00 so the weight is 10 pounds

In shipping.asc you then look at the line for surf_A and copy it to (say)
default shipping and then alter it:

default  Standard Ship weight  0       99999     f @@TOTAL@@ * 1

In country.txt the line for USA will have only 'default' for shipping
method.

It seems like this is the easy way out to do what I undeerstand you to be
wanting to do.
-= Jim =-

Tagline for Thursday, March 14, 2002 at 18:40 PM:
Upgrade: take old bugs out, put new ones in.

This Linux System has been up 1749 hours