[ic] Should I buy another CPU?

Bill Carr interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Thu Mar 21 06:40:01 2002

On Wed, 2002-03-20 at 16:07, Mike Heins wrote:
> Quoting Orko (orko@eacceleration.com):
> > <SNIP>

> > > I don't *think* that it will conflict.  MaxServers 0 isn't actually
> > > setting the MaxServers to 0, it's setting it to unlimited.  As Mike
> > > explained it means that Interchange will not use two of the Perl signals
> > > to determine the number of running servers, it will spawn as many as it
> > > needs.
> > </SNIP>
> >
> > I've been running with that exact configuration (StartServers 5) and the
> > MaxServers 0 setting since the patch was found.  No problems to report.
> > ...and conversions have improved by 5% with no additional changes
> > through Verisign!  THANK YOU MIKE AND RON!
> >
> > Whether new hardware would have aleviated the symptoms or not I would
> > rather have this patch in and not have to worry about sometime in the
> > future when the server is loaded more.  I'm running a PIII 800, 1G RAM
> > and SCSI RAID - sure, I could throw some more RAM at it or upgrade the
> > processor, but then I would feel like a M$ user... ;-)
>
> By the way, I see problems like this all the time when I have session
> and temp space on RAID. The write speed for hardware RAID often is bad,
> no matter the claims of the manufacturer.
>
> Using software RAID for temp and session space is slow suicide.
My session and temp space is on a NFS mounted RAID5. Mylex DAC1164P PCI
RAID Controller. 3 Seagate Cheetah 18XL, 10000rpm, ST318404LC drives.
Should I buy another disk to put on the SCSI or IDE bus for session and
temp space? If yes, what are the hardware recommendations?

--
Bill Carr
Worldwide Impact