[ic] Should I buy another CPU?

Ryan Hertz interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Thu Mar 21 09:07:00 2002

At 06:38 AM 3/21/02 -0500, Bill Carr wrote:
>On Wed, 2002-03-20 at 16:07, Mike Heins wrote:
> > Quoting Orko (orko@eacceleration.com):
> > > <SNIP>
> > >
> > > Whether new hardware would have aleviated the symptoms or not I would
> > > rather have this patch in and not have to worry about sometime in the
> > > future when the server is loaded more.  I'm running a PIII 800, 1G RAM
> > > and SCSI RAID - sure, I could throw some more RAM at it or upgrade the
> > > processor, but then I would feel like a M$ user... ;-)
> >
> > By the way, I see problems like this all the time when I have session
> > and temp space on RAID. The write speed for hardware RAID often is bad,
> > no matter the claims of the manufacturer.
> >
> > Using software RAID for temp and session space is slow suicide.
>My session and temp space is on a NFS mounted RAID5. Mylex DAC1164P PCI
>RAID Controller. 3 Seagate Cheetah 18XL, 10000rpm, ST318404LC drives.
>Should I buy another disk to put on the SCSI or IDE bus for session and
>temp space? If yes, what are the hardware recommendations?
I'm not very hardware-savvy (no actually, I'm not very smart at all) but
correct me if I'm wrong: you're saying that your temp/session drives are a
shared array?  So regardless of how fast the drives are, you're only as
fast as your LAN?  What type of NICs are you using? 10 base?  100
base?  Does your IC box have only 1 NIC?