[ic] Help !! TAX RATE, VAT and TRANSLATION to SPANISH

Kevin Walsh interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Fri Mar 22 02:18:00 2002

> My 'salestax.asc' contains this:
> --------X---------
> country	rate
> UK	0.175
> BE	0.21
> DK	0.25
> FI	0.22
> FR	0.196
> DE	0.16
> GR	0.18
> EI	0.20
> IT	0.20
> LU	0.15
> NL	0.19
> PT	0.17
> ES	0.16
> SE	0.25
> -----X----------
> which are the tax rates for the EU as given to me
> by HM Customs&Excise here in the UK.

What did you ask HMCE for?  Just a list of local tax rates?

You need to speak to your accountant about this, but I'm sure
you'll find that exporting from one EU country to any EU country
will attract VAT at the vendor's rate.  So, if you're in the UK,
you'll need to charge the standard rate VAT (17.5%) on all VATable
items you send to any other EU country.

Of course, if you are exporting to a VAT-registered EU company,
you need not charge VAT at all.  Just make a note of their VAT
(or BTW/IVA/TVA/FPA/MOMS/MWST or whatever) registration number
and let them pay the tax, at their local rate, when they do their
accounts.

One other thing: The EU has 15 member countries.  Your table only
lists 14.  You've forgotten Austria (AT).

I saw your article and thought I'd better let you know all this
before the tax man does. :-)