[ic] Basic layout question.

Doug Alcorn interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Fri Mar 22 10:07:00 2002

"Andrew Lietzow" <andrewl@theaclgroup.com> writes:

> Traditionally, I set up a user space under the /home directory, and
> then create symbolic links to a /www directory for their HTML space.
> If I have </www/foundation> created, with a symbolic link back to
> /home/interchange/foundation, where would the <catalogs> directory
> live and where would the <cgi-bin> directory live?  I assume there
> is only one cgi-bin per server, and that it would be at the /www
> level but is this correct?

Are we talking about using VirtualHost sections in Apache?  That would
mean each userid has their own domain name.  That's the scenario I'm
in.  I don't have any users that put their catalog under my own domain
name.  They all have their own domain name.

As such, each domain has it's own DocumentRoot and ScriptAlias.  I
typically put the DocumentRoot as /home/userid/html, ScriptAlias under
/home/userid/cgi-bin, and catalogs under
/home/userid/catalogs/catalog_name.  Since few of my clients have (or
actually use) shell access, I'm not too worried about stuff they put
in their own cgi-bin.  That might be a "no-no", but it gives me a
pretty clean layout.
--
 (__) Doug Alcorn - Unix/Linux/Web Developing
 oo / PGP 02B3 1E26 BCF2 9AAF 93F1  61D7 450C B264 3E63 D543