[ic] A couple of questions from a new user

R. Steven Rainwater interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Mon May 6 15:31:01 2002

Thanks for the quick replies. I've got some of my questions answered
and will keep poking around for answers to the others. Here's a
summary of the answers I've gotten so far...

On Mon, 6 May 2002 14:28:30 -0400, Mike Heins wrote:
>He installed from the RPM, but didn't read
>   /usr/share/doc/interchange*/README*.

I've read it now. Thanks! :-) It seems to indicate that the HTML
files will be found in /usr/lib/interchange

On Mon, 6 May 2002 13:31:15 -0500, Rick Eicher II wrote:
>RPM install on redhat 7.2, look under /var/lib/interchange for the
>directories of the catalogs.

Hmmm... not /usr/lib/interchange?

On Mon, 6 May 2002 14:08:09 -0400, Aaron Hazelton wrote:
>When you created a catalog, it asked you where you wanted it to be
>located, probably something like /<virtual site>/var/catalogs/<catalog
>name>...  Under that directory you will find /pages

I don't see anything like that on my install. But I haven't created
a catalog. As I said, I just installed the RPMs. I think the foundation
catalog was included in the RPM, or perhaps was created automatically
when I started interchange? It looks like either Rick or Mike is
correct as both these directories exist and contain similar files:

 /var/lib/interchange/
 /usr/lib/interchange/

Both have subdirectories called "foundation". The content of the
two looks similar but it's not clear to me yet what the signifigance
of them is. Now that I have access to the admin interface, it appears
that it provides a way for the user to upload/download the pages so
maybe I don't really need to know where they're being stored?

One more minor confusion has cropped up here. The readme file says I
should run "bin/makecat" before using interchange. I tried that and it
seems to be prompting me to create a demo catalog called "foundation".
But there is *already* a demo catalog named "foundation" that seems to
be working fine. Am I supposed to overwrite it for some reason or does
this step not apply to the RPM install?

On Mon, 06 May 2002 12:21:49 -0500, Andrew Lietzow wrote:
>try logging in as
>Login name: interch
>password: pass

On Mon, 6 May 2002 13:31:15 -0500, Rick Eicher II wrote:
>Try admin and pass

Andrew was right on this one, Thanks! interch and pass are the
default. That should be in the docs somewhere (maybe I just haven't
read the right docs yet).

> 3. Where can I find documentation that will explain how to use
> Interchange to set up a simple shopping cart/store on some of
> the virtual sites on my server? The nearest I could find in the
> online documentation was the "catalog building tutorial" but
> once I got as far as step 2.1, it says I have to do some stuff
> that's in the "Getting Started Guide" before continuing.
> Unfortunately, I can find no "Getting Started Guide" document.
> (and I'd love to find it as it sounds quite useful!)
>
>Go to the interchange.redhat.com site and you can fully search the
>documentation or download it at:
>http://interchange.redhat.com/cgi-bin/ic/dev-4.8/index.html

Thanks! The "Getting Started Guide" is available at this URL. It is
missing from the docs provided in the RPM install, however.

And several people answered this one:

> 4. What's a catalog? Is that just the term Interchange uses for
> an online store...

>>Catalog is the term Interchange uses for online store.

Thanks for help! Hopefully my questions will become less stupid
and less frequent shortly. ;-)

-Steve

* R. Steven Rainwater * http://www.ncc.com/humans/srainwater/index.html *
Snake through the chaos with a smooth noodle map. --Devo