[ic] How to minimize downtime (interchange server crashed/outages)?

Thu May 16 16:22:43 2002

At 03:07 PM 05/16/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>Interchange server seems to die a lot on the server I am using (once or
>twice a week).  Is there a way I can make this auto restart?  I do not have
>root access, but my server admin is really helpful, and will do anything
>needed as long as it doesn't threaten the entire server.
>
>Cron?  PHP that would establish a shell connection and reset it when a user
>hit the site and it displayed the error/offline message?  Any thoughts?  Any
>ideas how to do this?
>
>Any hints or suggestions are most welcome.
>
>Thanks!
>Kellen

I use a little shell script like this, and call it in a cron job every five
minutes:

#!/bin/sh
var=`ps ux | grep interchange | grep -v -c grep`
if [ $var -eq 0 ]; then
         /command/to/start/interchange
fi

- Ed L.

(866) 519-4680 Toll-Free       (530) 622-9426 Fax