[ic] problems installing as regular user

N K interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Thu Nov 14 00:31:01 2002

After all my problems getting the foundation store online, I managed to get
it running using INET instead of UNIX sockets.

As an experiment I tried to install interchange on a clean system as a
user's home directory but there were many problems.

When you download interchange, extract into your home directory and execute
'./configure' as a user (not root) it download and installs modules from
CPAN.

I chose all the default values and it created a interchange directory under
my home directory. The only problems was that the MD5 module was not used
and there was some problem with IO:stringy. I don't know if this was due to
my system or CPAN.

However when you run 'bin/makecat' it ask you for Apache's 'httpd.conf'
file. This file is located in '/us/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf' and is
owned by root with the httpd group permission.

How can the makecat (run as a user) access this file?

I have mapped Apache's cgi-bin and htdocs directories to directories in the
user's directory so this user can publish to the www server but they do not
have access the the httpd.conf directory.

Am I missing something very basic?

On another note, the link (http://ftp.interchange.redhat.com/perl/RHL-7.2/)
to download the CPAN modules from the icdevgroup.org site seems to be
broken.

Thanks,
Nagita