[ic] Deciding between Interchange and Miva (Questions)

Brandon Mercer interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Tue Nov 26 14:13:01 2002

On Tue, 2002-11-26 at 13:41, J P wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been reviewing e-commerce packages for a store I
> want to open and I have pretty much narrowed down my
> choices to Interchange and Miva.  I was hoping I could
> ask a few questions here to help me decide.  Basically
> I'm interested in opinions from folks who have
> actually used both products.  I realize cost is one
SNIP
> 1. How steep is the learning curve on this?  I have
> heard it's pretty high.
Depending on what you need to do the learning curve could be high.  It
sounds as though you're headed in a good direction in saying that you
want to start simple and then expand.  Which is wise not only for your
company, but from a learning standpoint as well.  The basic things
you're descibing here come installed, setup, running right outta the
box.

> 2. How easy is it to switch from one to the other, ie.
> if I decide on one and find it wasn't the right one
Do you buy a toyota decide you want the ford, and then take the engine
out of the toyota and put it in the ford?  Just a question, but this may
be "somewhat possible."

> 3. Is there some sort of repository for additional
> modules where I can find add-ons that aren't part of
> the core package
It's all there... making it do what you want is just part of openening
up the package.  :-)  Because Interchange is open source it can do
anything and everything you want it to do.

> 4. Is there an expected time frame when 4.9.3 will
> become stable?
4.9.3 is in use and is stable, though not fully functional yet, on many
sites.  I have used 4.9.3 frequently.  It's a matter of maturity.

> 5. Can products be in more than one category?  And can
> there be additional levels of product
> groups/categories...
Depending on how you set up your search results yes.  Making additional
levels of products and indexes is again, one of those things you need to
set up.  It has been done, so I'd say yes...

> 6. I didn't see anything in the demo for importing
> products.  Is there a facility to do this and can it
> handle both full imports
Yes, and Yes.  You can imput items one by one or import a database that
you create in excel, or gnumeric or what have you.  Check out the Demo
on www.icdevgroup.org.
> 7. I don't quite get the concept of having multiple
> catalogs
Once you start using interchange this will be more clear.  Sorry, I'm
not trying to jip you on the answer... but I think it comes with
experience.

> 8. Is is possible to have different templates for
> different categories..
This idea can be set up of course.

> 9. How hard is it to add fields to various tables to
> be used either in the user side or the admin side or
> both?  For example, let's say I wanted to add a cost
> field that I can add to reports in the admin?  Or
> options fields for products?  Or say a vendor id or
> additional features for more product information?
Very easy, and very customizable.  :-)

> 10. And this is for later too, but can I create a
> separate "store" if you will, where anyone can
> register to add products (become a vendor)
Dunno, but I'm sure somehow it could be done.  :-)

Hope this helps, being that interchange is open source you have a lot of
versatility.  You had said that you wanted mostly imput from people who
have used both, but I feel that most people would do what you're doing
and start out with interchange and never make it to another product.
You had also talked about getting the "BEST" product.  Well, honesly,
with the developers that USE this product daily and all the people who
rely on this daily... I don't think you can go wrong.
Brandon