[ic] Deciding between Interchange and Miva (Questions)

paul jordan interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Tue Nov 26 17:19:01 2002

> Hi all,
>
> I've been reviewing e-commerce packages for a store I
> want to open and I have pretty much narrowed down my
> choices to Interchange and Miva.  I was hoping I could
> ask a few questions here to help me decide.  Basically
> I'm interested in opinions from folks who have
> actually used both products.  I realize cost is one
> major difference, but I'd like to ignore that for now
> and find the best product.

I have not used both JP, however I was in your situation about
a year ago. I narrowed it down to IC and Miva also. I am soooo
glad I chose IC. I was checking out Miva last week, just to see
what they are doing. Oh, man I can't believe they charge for that
system.

> For a quick outline of what I'm doing, the shop I'm
> getting ready to get going on is a sports shop with
> NFL, NHL etc... stuff.  There will need to be multiple
> levels of categories (ie, apparel -> mens -> shirts)
> and different ways of sorting ie (product categories,
> leagues, teams, players, events, etc.) and multiple
[snip]

Actually everything you asked is some of the more "easy" tasks.
So, and big YES to all :)

I think it comes down to what type of person you are... you know?
I started out only knowing html, but I am not the type of person
to go out partying on the weekends. For a while I was working
24/7 on deconstructing the demo, out of interest and need.

One of the first things I did was make my own template within the demo.
I think that is like one of the most helpful things for learning the
curve. If you can make your own template, then you will be able to
do most anything within IC... it may not be the most efficient, but
with html, and ITL you can do almost anything. Beyond that, Perl and
SQL will make your tasks a little more efficient, and even extend
the capabilities.

Most people confuse the DEMO as being Interchange (the product), which
it is not. With Interchange anything is possible...

Like I said I was in your shoes. At this point, if you are comfortable
with
html, and don't mind WORK, then hands down IC is your product, by far.

Paul

(and I have played extensively with Miva)