[ic] Interchange 4.9.3

Fri Nov 29 09:46:56 2002

Quoting Diego Henao (webmaster@bloodhound.slyip.com):
> Hi,
>
> I have been working with interchange 4.9.3 and it is much easier to modify
> than the 4.8.6 version. I want to ask you why hasn't it released yet?. For
> me, it works really good. I don't know how it works when you talk about
> advanced stuff. I have not had any problem at all. If someone can tell me
> what changes will be implemented in the final version, when that will
> happen, and if I am using cvs and I am using this developing version; Can
> I update this version in the future when you release it?

It does really work good, I agree. The reason it is not released yet is
due to remaining work in several areas:

 1. Product options. This is a constant problem for people,
    partly because of initial bone-headed design by me. Jon is
    working on simplifying and improving this.

 2. Admin UI look and feel. We have made some great strides with
    the help of David, Brent, and Hamish -- but they have
    provided another upgrade that I am just starting to put in.
    It will take IC to another level as far as functionality and
    appearance.

 3. Disconnected payment setup. This will allow payment methods
    that relocate you to their web site to reliably and securely
    trigger finish of orders.

 4. Documentation of new surveys/mailform setup, and some more
    examples in the foundation.

 5. Product ratings setup in foundation, allowing a "rate this
    product" function.

 6. Results page selection via component.

The above have been funded or otherwise committed to and will definitely
be in 5.0. The rest are less likely to make it because of lack of real
developer buy-in:

 7. Route manager. This would be a way to manage order routes
    via the UI and a RouteDatabase.

 8. Permissions manager and security audit. If there was someone
    who wanted to get their feet wet on contributing to the IC
    core, this is a place that needs help. We need to audit the
    pages and make sure the permissions make sense.

 9. MySQL and PostgreSQL dump/restore capability via mysqldump
    and pg_dump.

10. Content-editor session save. This would allow edit of pages
    and content in sessions, saving multiple pages for
    publishing, then allowing a one-button publish of all pages
    when satisfied.

11. Integration of shipping and taxing "Levies" model into the
    foundation catalog. This is a more flexible method of
    shipping and taxing which allows multiple taxes and shipping
    based on locality.

--
Mike Heins
phone +1.513.523.7621      <mike@perusion.com>

I have a cop friend who thinks he ought be able to give a new ticket;
"too dumb for conditions".