[ic] Adding to Cart

Mike Heins mike at perusion.com
Wed Aug 6 01:47:24 EDT 2003

Quoting Marty Tennison (marty at sediva.com):
> On Mon, 2003-08-04 at 19:57, gurs at sbcglobal.net wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Just a general non-programming questions.
> >
> > Just recently I upgraded a commerce site. This site used to take you to the cart page
> > every time you added an item to it but now it keeps you on the same page and just
> > displays your cart (what buy-list does but we don't use buy-list) on the top of the page.
> >
> > Has anyone else tried using the second method on their site. Does make it easier for
> > the user or just confusing since no major ecommerce site does it this way.
> >
> > When we implemented this we thought it would make it easier for the user but now I am
> > having second thoughts. Any comments?
>
> www.barnesandnoble.com does this.  I've always thought it was pretty
> slick and implemented it on a few sites.   It saves the customers from
> having to click on "continue shopping" if they want to go shopping some
> more.
>
> So for the customer who is going to add 1 item and checkout, it may be
> one additional click after they click the buy button (ie go to cart).
> But for the customer who is going to add multiple items is saves them
> having to click the continue shopping button a bunch of times.   I opted
> to cater to the customer purchasing more items.  :)
>
> We've been doing it this way for about a year and so far no complaints.
> But from examining the logs, it's clear that some customers just don't
> get it.
>
> One suggestion - if you keep them on the same page, make the "this item
> added to your cart" portion of the page very very loud to catch the
> customers attention.   Otherwise, if it is a subtle change, they tend to
> miss it, especially if the page refresh is slow and they have a blank
> page for a few seconds.

I have also done a thing where it gets added to the "tiny_cart" on
the left edge via Javascript. It also changes the button to say "In your
cart -- buy more" instead of "buy now". This seems to get through
to people....

The key is to make the order target an "ord/nobasket" page which
returns a 204 No Content header.

I have attached the three files that make it go -- they will be
in the next iteration of the "mike" demo, 0.05.

--
Mike Heins
phone +1.513.523.7621      <mike at perusion.com>

Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed. -- Francis Bacon