[ic] Tax exempt customers

Mike Heins mike at perusion.com
Thu Aug 21 12:00:45 EDT 2003

Quoting Michael Teahan (michael at espressoresource.com):

> I have been trying to find through the tax setup features of IC how to
> not charge sales tax to resale customers.  I know that I can exempt tax
> by state or item, but doing so by customer type is what I really need.
> Is there something I am missing that makes this a simple task?  Can I
> tax exempt the wholesale pricing while leaving the retail taxable.
> Would it be simpler to setup a California Sales tax category, like CA_,
> that has no sales tax but doesn't mess with the address too badly for
> invoicing and reports?
>
> This is the last sticking point before jumping on board with IC for our
> ecommerce site.
>
> Thanks in advance, always, for any help you can provide.

Nothing in Interchange says that you need to use "state" for
sales tax. You can also write your own custom taxing function
in a UserTag and use that instead of [fly-tax].

There are several ways taxing can be done; with the Levies system
you can control it even more finely.

Just change the field you use to qualify for SalesTax, and set it to
some appropriate value in the user database. It can be done in the
Profile for a dealer or distributor, just like pricing is.

Suffice it to say that you can do what you need to do with a minimum
of trouble once you just sit down and do it.

--
Mike Heins
phone +1.513.523.7621      <mike at perusion.com>

Fast, reliable, cheap.  Pick two and we'll talk.  -- unknown