[ic] interchange and SQL DBMSes: /scan/ fetches anything?!

Steffen Dettmer steffen at dett.de
Sat Aug 23 19:29:11 EDT 2003

Hi Mike!

* Mike Heins wrote on Sat, Aug 23, 2003 at 12:01 -0400:
> Quoting Steffen Dettmer (steffen at dett.de):
> [snip]
> > Is this a bug in /scan/? Did I something wrong? Or does /scan/ is
> > implemented to verify the condition by itself after fetching
> > *any* possibly needed date from the DBMS?

Thank you for your immediate reply on a saturday, great! :)

> Depends. If you have at least one field = 'fixed string' compare
> it should do that first,

There were two "se" conditions: one for the category and nother
one for the shop_id.

> then do the search based on the results of that. Should that
> first comparison return the entire database, it will indeed
> scan each line.

The /scan/ returned just two matches, so I think the conditions
are correct? I would understand fetching shop_id after selecting
category first, because it maybe compliciated internally to
detect that this field has been queried already or to put it
directly into the onliest query, but at least the category should
go into the statement I guess.

> Sounds like you want to "vacuum" your database as well...

I do it once a day after the backups and I am satisfied with the
DBMS performance of 400 queries/sec :-)

Thanks for your reply and have a nice weekend!

oki,

Steffen