[ic] Using special script with Interchange

Hostmaster hostmaster at zipp.net
Wed Dec 31 01:11:55 EST 2003

Hello List Members,
Interchange 5.0.

I recently purchased a perl program called "UsersOnline" that when installed
on a site allows the site owner to track real-time any visitors to the site,
with information including the visitors IP address, referring url, time on
site, which page(s) visited (and time at each page).

The script normally requires ssi, and it's recommended pages are changed to
.shtml extensions.  However, there is a workaround for those of us who don't
want to use .shtml extensions.  Some simple coding which allows the parsing
of .html pages for ssi is placed in an .htaccess file which lives in a
directory above the files one wishes to track.  The script then parses the
.html pages using ssi.

Each page tracked has, depending on the desired method, code placed in the
source of the page that looks like this:
<!--#include virtual="/cgi-bin/pro/online.cgi?invisible=yes" -->

I've used this script on a non-Interchange site with a hundred pages, and it
works perfectly.  Even has a nice little .wav file that notifies my client
when a new visitor enters the site.

Question:   Before I add this code to any pages of my client's existing
catalogs, does anyone on the list know of any possible negative consequences
I might anticipate from doing so?

I know there are so many dynamic pages generated in the catalogs, but I'm
hoping that inclusion of the <!--#include virtual--> tag within
flypage.html, checkout.html, results.html, etc. might achieve the desired
result.

If not, does anyone know of a better way to create real-time tracking of
pages in the catalogs?

If I don't receive an answer before Friday, I wish you all a Happy and Safe
new year.

Best regards,
Michael G.