[ic] Using special script with Interchange

Christopher Wenham cwenham at synesmedia.com
Wed Dec 31 13:43:28 EST 2003

On Wednesday 31 December 2003 01:11, Hostmaster wrote:
> Question:   Before I add this code to any pages of my client's existing
> catalogs, does anyone on the list know of any possible negative
> consequences I might anticipate from doing so?
>
> I know there are so many dynamic pages generated in the catalogs, but I'm
> hoping that inclusion of the <!--#include virtual--> tag within
> flypage.html, checkout.html, results.html, etc. might achieve the desired
> result.

 It probably won't work for you out-of-the-box, because Interchange delivers
all pages via a small CGI "link" script. Apache won't re-parse its output for
SSI, and I doubt your program could, either.

 However, all may not be lost. Interchange does come with Perl versions of the
link scripts (vlink and tlink). Their only task is to talk to the Interchange
daemon process and relay finished HTML back to Apache. You might be able to
hack this script and make it call your program. Since the environment
variables with all the request data won't have changed, your program should
be able to work normally.

 The alternative is to modify your catalog's page templates to call your
script. But you'll need to re-construct the environment for it there, becuase
it'll be called within the context of the Interchange daemon, not Apache.

 Finally, Interchange does do its own traffic logging. The "Reports" tab in
the Administration UI has it. There are some versions of Interchange that
don't have the tab in the UI, but the underlying files are still there in the
interchange/lib/UI/pages/admin/reports directory.

Regards,
--
Chris Wenham - Synesmedia, Inc.
http://www.synesmedia.com