[ic] How to create mailing lists?

Gerry Kirk interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Fri Jan 10 08:45:01 2003

On Thu, 2003-01-09 at 12:53, Thomas J.M. Burton wrote:
> ...snip...
> We use majordomo for our mailing lists, and don't use IC to manage the
> existence of any lists. Each of the catalogs we run currently has only
> one list, and on the checkout page I have a "Would you like to receive
> our free newsletter?" area with a "Yes/No" select list.
>
> At the top of the etc/mail_receipt file for that catalog (I have e-mail
> address required and don't give customers an option not to receive an
> e-mail receipt, so this file will always be processed), I've added
> lines like this:
>
>     [if value mail_list == 1]
>     [email to="listname-request@domain.com"]
>     subscribe [value email]
>     [/email]
>     [/if]
>
> This sends an e-mail to majordomo requesting a subscription to the
> list. If you have e-mail receipt as an option for the customer, you
> might want to put the above code into the etc/report file instead of
> mail_receipt.
>
> That's my two cents. Hope it helps. :)

Thanks for the overview. That does help. Just a few more questions, if
you don't mind:

1. Do you have the mailing list set up so that users don't have to
confirm their addition to the list? If so, how is that done?

2. Normally a password is involved to change user mailing list settings,
say if someone decides to remove themselves from the list. How do you
automate the removal of users from the list?

Thanks.
- Gerry