[ic] Newbie - Admin access from outside

Ed LaFrance interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Tue Jan 14 11:53:01 2003

At 07:08 PM 01/13/2003 -0800, you wrote:

>I set up the foundation demo store. I can access the demo store from the
>Internet, but when i try to get to /cgi-bin/foundation/admin/index.html, it
>apparently refuses the connection.
>
>I can't really find the reason in the doco. I find the section on restricting
>access to pages using .access and the userdb, but this doesn't apply since I'm
>not even logging in. I also find the WideOpen configuration which "Disables IP
>qualification of user sessions"...whatever that is, since there is no doco on
>what this is and what are the alternatives.
>
>I figure it must be a port it is trying to use that I don't permit or it's
>something of the above-mentioned.
>
>I would deeply appreciate any pointers on how this works and generally how use
>of ports and security works.
>
>Also, any pointers on where to look for setting up credit card
>authorization and
>payment.
>
>A couple tall orders, but much much appreciation for the help.
>
>Thanks, Joe

What do you specifically mean by 'refuses the connection' - what error
page/message are you getting. Is your web server software SSL enabled? It
is possible to run the entire UI under SSL, though I do not believe that
this is the default - and if you were attempting to do that without SSL
capability that would most certainly cause a problem.

- Ed L.

463 Main St., Suite D         eCommerce | Consulting | Hosting
Placerville, CA  95667        edl@newmediaems.com
(866) 519-4680 Toll-Free      (530) 622-9426 Fax