[ic] County level Sales Tax

K Old interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Tue Jun 10 15:27:01 2003

Hello everyone,

I currently have IC 4.9.7 up and running, with the state sales tax
working just fine.  Our company is being audited and so we're being
forced to charge sales tax for all of our web sales.  I've now got the
task of coming up with a module/tag/script that will gather sales tax
info for all the states down to the County level.  Yes, you read
County.  The IC part is easy, just create a usertag to handle it, but
getting the data is another story.

I've scoured the Internet looking for reliable resources to query, and
have only found each states page that maintains the State & Local taxes.

I searched CPAN and couldn't find any modules that would solve the
problem.

I need to get the tax information down to a county level.  Each state
displays their data in different formats and are updated at different
intervals.  It seems as if I'm going to have to write a script that will
scour 50 different sites, parse the data 50 different ways, and do it
all at 50 different intervals.  Surely there is some organization that
collects this data.

Fields I'd be looking for are:

STATE, CITY, COUNTY, SALES TAX

I realize this is a shot in the dark, but has anyone faced this problem
before?  Any possible solutions that won't take a year to build?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Kevin
--
K Old <kold.lists@oldcomm.com>