[ic] a new 'we're sorry, the Interchange server is unavailable' problem

Kerry Blalock interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Sat Jun 21 07:47:00 2003

> Hi folks,
>
> I'm getting the message in my browser, upon trying
> http://www.mydomain.com/cgi-bin/catalog/index.html:
>
> We're sorry, the Interchange server is unavailable...
> We are out of service or may be experiencing high system demand. Please
> try again soon.
>
> Familiar?  I thought so.  However, I've checked the archives and the
> FAQ, and the answers I've found (obviously I may not have found the
> right posts in the archives, my apologies if this is so) have not been
> helpful.
>
> I'm setting up 4.8.3 for various reasons.  First I set up a foundation
> demo site on a relatively vanilla Redhat 7.3 setup, using makecat.
> This worked perfectly as far as I could tell.  I then went through the
> building a catalog tutorial per these instructions:
>
> http://www.icdevgroup.org/i/dev/documentation.html?document=iccattut
>
> This new catalog does not work after starting interchange, and I get
> the above error message.  In addition, if I comment out the new catalog
> from the /etc/interchange.cfg file, my formerly working foundation demo
> catalog is still broken after restarting interchange again.  The only
> way I can get that working again (emphasis on 'I') is to wipe
> everything down, uninstall and start again with a new rpm install.
>
> I've double checked the permissions on the cgi-bin interchange
> redirector, I've double-checked the permissions on the new catalog
> stuff, I've got nothing in the error.log file.  Everything is pretty
> vanilla, the only real change is the name of the new catalog.  I've
> also double checked to make sure I don't have two interchanges running,
> not that I think that would give me this particular error (I don't
> know, can you tell I'm an interchange neophyte??).
>
> I'd love for somebody with some more experience to let me know what I
> might be doing wrong, I'd really appreciate it.  If I can furnish any
> more information, please just let me know.
>
> Many thanks,
> Dave D.

If you get a reply, or find the solution outside the list, I would love to
know the solution to this. I upgraded a RH 8.0 system to 9.0 a couple of
weeks ago, and lost interchange with the same mesage you are getting. I
have 4.8.7. I tried to re-install same version, (did not wipe clean
first), and I tried to upgrade to current 4.9 version.
Mine was just a test-setup area, and I have since set up my account on
host that I will be using when complete. I just liked to have interchange
on my system to use as learning tool.

Kerry