[ic] Upgrading Interchange to Newer Versions of Perl modules, etc.

Sat Jun 21 16:25:01 2003

Quoting Geoff Staples (geoff@hostricity.com):
> By the way, I am NOT an advocate of moving to the newest version of
> every module as quickly as possible. My preference is:
>
> 1. That Interchange be continuously upgraded to the newer module
>    versions.
>
> 2. That these upgrades be done fast enough to keep Interchange from
>    getting way out date.
>
> 3. And, that the updates to new modules are not done until the modules
>    have been out a while and proven to be reliable.
>
> In other words: will Interchange migrate to new modules within some
> reasonable amount of time so that requirements that older Perl, mySQL,
> or other server modules will not become a major problem?

In general, we want to work with the latest modules and
have had a very good record of doing so.

The case of SQL::Statement is different. It was a bad decision (IMHO) on
the part of the module owner -- to keep the module name the same but
remove functions and retain very little compatibility.

In fact, we use *none* of the functions of the current latest
SQL::Statement. So it is not a question of upgrading to it -- it is a
question of writing our own version of what the old SQL::Statement did,
which is return a parse tree for a SQL statement.

--
Mike Heins
phone +1.513.523.7621      <mike@perusion.com>

Prove you aren't stupid.  Say NO to Passport.