[ic] Mrore non threaded perl questions

DB interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Sun May 11 10:22:01 2003

I found Mike's instructions for installing a new perl and have a question.

> There are two recommended ways on Linux. Neither of them means removing
> the RPM -- you will find Perl is needed by a lot of other things.
>
> 	1. Replace the system perl.
>
> 		tar xzf stable.tar.gz
> 		cd perl*
> 		./configure -Dprefix=/usr -des
> 		make test
> 		make install
>
> 	2. Install a separate perl.
>
> 		tar xzf stable.tar.gz
> 		cd perl*
> 		./configure -des
> 		make test
> 		make install
>
> The second will install it at /usr/local (under Linux), in which case
> you install Interchange with
>
> 	/usr/local/bin/perl Makefile.PL

For option #1, will this just overwrite the existing perl on my Redhat
8.0 with a non threaded version? It seems like an easy solution but I'm
afraid of breaking anything else.

Option #2 I like because it would leave everything else untouched. I
already have an earlier version of 4.9.7 that I installed from a
tarball. Is there a way to upgrade my existing 4.9.7 by telling it to
use the alternate non-threaded perl? Will "/usr/local/bin/perl
Makefile.PL" do that? Or maybe there's some option I can use with the
configure command to point it to the new perl?

DB