[ic] Mrore non threaded perl questions

Sun May 11 12:40:01 2003

Quoting DB (DB@M-and-D.com):
> I found Mike's instructions for installing a new perl and have a question.
>
> > There are two recommended ways on Linux. Neither of them means removing
> > the RPM -- you will find Perl is needed by a lot of other things.
> >
> > 	1. Replace the system perl.
> >
> > 		tar xzf stable.tar.gz
> > 		cd perl*
> > 		./configure -Dprefix=/usr -des
> > 		make test
> > 		make install
> >
> > 	2. Install a separate perl.
> >
> > 		tar xzf stable.tar.gz
> > 		cd perl*
> > 		./configure -des
> > 		make test
> > 		make install
> >
> > The second will install it at /usr/local (under Linux), in which case
> > you install Interchange with
> >
> > 	/usr/local/bin/perl Makefile.PL
>
> For option #1, will this just overwrite the existing perl on my Redhat
> 8.0 with a non threaded version? It seems like an easy solution but I'm
> afraid of breaking anything else.

Never breaks anything *I* use. I would be extremely surprised to
find any standard Linux program using threaded Perl programs.

> Option #2 I like because it would leave everything else untouched. I
> already have an earlier version of 4.9.7 that I installed from a
> tarball. Is there a way to upgrade my existing 4.9.7 by telling it to
> use the alternate non-threaded perl? Will "/usr/local/bin/perl
> Makefile.PL" do that?

Yes, it will.

>  Or maybe there's some option I can use with the
> configure command to point it to the new perl?

Or you can just modify the shbang on the appropriate scripts:

	cd /usr/local/interchange
	perl -pi -e 's:^#./usr/bin/perl:#\!/usr/local/bin/perl:' \
		`grep -rl '#./usr/bin/perl' *`

That should about cover it, though you will have to modify
/usr/sbin/interchange and /usr/sbin/makecat if those are on your
system.

--
Mike Heins
phone +1.513.523.7621      <mike@perusion.com>

Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed. -- Francis Bacon